To resolve the required heavy displacement (about 1 500 kg loaded) of such a traditional hull and the possibility for it to be trailered behind a car, I have fitted a water ballast tank and a steel centreboard. The tank arrangement is quite simple : a drain plug in the hull and a dinghy type inspection hatch cover just over. After launching, open the plug. When the tank is full, lock the plug and shut the cover. After recovering, just open both to empty. It is also possible to drain into the bilges and to pump the water out before recovering the boat.
The hull is strip planked over a criss-crossed structure made of a plywood backbone, including centreboard case, and plywood transverse bulkheads. The planking is sheathed for better resistance to chafe and to reduce maintenance. The erection of all numerically cut parts is extremely simple, without any measurement and marking, and assure a perfect result for the amateur builder and shortens significantly the labour time for the professional boat-builder. Have a look on the construction 3D sketches.
Ebihen 18 is offered with several rig versions, in particular the gaff cutter and the two masted lug rig named flambart in northern Brittany. Both are superb, efficient, and well suited to this powerful hull. I can also draw other rigs on demand.
A well for an outboard motor, up to 8 hp, is fitted aft. The propeller is just in front of rudder for easy manoeuvering, and the handle is at helmsman reach. The motor is fully hidden under deck. A flush hatch cover allows access for its installation and start up.
A clinker version may be drawn on demand.
See Photo albums for Ebihen 18 HERE
PDF drawing click HERE
More info on the Vivierboats website: click HERE
- Study plans are extracts from the plans allowing the buyer to have a more precise knowledge of the plan content. If you are ordering the building plan, you do not need to order the study plan.
- The Building plan is the basic document to build the boat. It includes a free telephone or e-mail assistance.
- Attention: building this boat requires also full size patterns, or a numerically cut plywood kit.
- You may also buy the CNC cutting files allowing you sub-contracting the kit to a local company
- The kit is to be ordered from one of my partners.
- Postage and VAT, if applicable, are included in the shown prices.